Electrical engineering has long been a critical role in tech and engineering companies. The upcoming new year and new decade promise continued importance of electrical engineering positions. What are the most prominent electrical engineering roles and developing career trends?
- Biomedical engineers: Electrical engineers are crucial to the future of tech-driven medicine. Those who work in these roles design and create the key tech tools used in healthcare, including devices, computer systems, and software used in healthcare.
- Computer hardware engineers: Computer hardware engineers research, design, develop and test the computer systems and elements that are mission-critical to the success of technology and the businesses that technology supports. Engineers in these roles create, develop, and design processors, circuit boards, memory devices, networks, routers, and more.
- Electrical and electronics engineering technicians: Electrical and electronics engineering technicians are what is usually brought to mind when talking about electrical engineering roles. They help engineers design and develop computers and communications equipment used by almost all businesses. They can also work on more niche equipment such as medical monitoring and navigational equipment. Many times their roles involve product evaluation and testing and running measuring and diagnostic services to adjust, test, and repair equipment. Increasingly, they are used to manufacture and deployment of equipment for automation, both physical and digital.
- Electrical and electronics installation and repair: In addition to the design and creation of electronics, there is a need for installation and repair of these products. Electrical and electronics installers and repairers work on a variety of electrical equipment for telecommunications, transportation, utilities, and other industries.
- Electromechanical technicians: Electromechanical technicians are crucial to the future of robotics. They help design, operate, test, and maintain electromechanical equipment such as unmanned, automated, and robotic devices.
Industries and sectors
Because power and technology are essential to the everyday lives of individuals and the success of businesses, there are plenty of electrical engineering roles and career paths across business types.
Electrical engineers work for many companies across industries, including:
- Engineering services
- Electric power generation and transmission
- Navigational, measuring, electromedical, and control instruments manufacturing
- Research and development
- Electronic component manufacturing Federal government roles
- Transportation departments
The opportunities for electrical engineering careers only continue to grow. Get in touch with the Open Systems team today to find the right position for you.