Artificial intelligence (AI) and blockchain are buzzwords that currently dominate the information technology industry. Here’s how some businesses have utilized these technologies to date, as well as what future applications could be.
Artificial intelligence has connotations of self-aware robots, but its current usage is much more benign and focused on enhancing consumer experiences and making life more convenient for individuals and businesses.
- Virtual assistants: The software behind Amazon’s Alexa and Google Home is powered by AI. While this kind of artificial intelligence is fairly low-level, it continues to grow in usefulness and predictive ability.
- Customer service chatbots: More businesses have set up simple AI interfaces to help answer customer questions online and after business hours, helping create a more satisfying customer service experience for most consumers.
- Personalization: Websites like Amazon use AI to predict other products that customers may be interested in based on past purchases.
The main characteristics of blockchain technology are that it’s a digital, distributed, and decentralized ledger that records transactions. It’s become a way of sending peer-to-peer or business-to-business payments without the need for a bank, but other usages have emerged.
- Supply chain: Because blockchain essentially functions as a digital log, it has potential to increase efficiency and security in supply chain management, providing transparency to retailers, wholesalers, manufactures, distributors, and transporters.
- Healthcare: The potential application of blockchain technology in the healthcare industry centers around patient payments, easier and safer access to patient records, as well as tracking pharmaceutical drug manufacturing and distribution to ensure quality for physicians and patients.
The future of technology will also focus on other up-and-coming tech like cloud computing, the internet of things (IoT), augmented reality, virtual reality, machine learning, and data analytics. Do you need employees to help you keep up with the technology of today and the trends of tomorrow? Contact us today to hire qualified technology candidates who can help you meet the future head on.